2022 Fall Symposium
hosted by the Memphis Dental Hygiene Association & West TN Dental Hygiene Association
1022 S. Shady Grove Rd.
Memphis, TN 38120
|8:00 - 8:30 am||Registration & Visit Exhibitors|
|8:30 - 10:30 am||OSHA, Infection Control & HIPAA for the Dental Practice with Olivia Wann, JD|
|10:45 - 12:45 am||Cultural Humility & Recognizing Microaggression with Dr. Nakeshi Dyer, EdD, Assistant Professor UTHSC|
|12:45 - 1:45 pm||Lunch & Visit Exhibitors (lunch will be provided)|
|2:00 - 4:00 pm||Chemical Dependency for the Dental Professional with Joshua Weil, Memphis Area Prevention Coalition|
OSHA, Infection Control & HIPAA for the Dental Practice with Olivia Wann, JD
OSHA & Infection Control Objectives and Topics:
- Review of Common Violations
- Learn how to be “Inspection Ready”
- Implement engineering controls to protect against aerosols
- Satisfy the required Bloodborne Pathogens Training & Hazard Communication education
- Understand OSHA’s Required Documentation
- Review the latest CDC guidelines for infection control
- Consider recent breaches in infection control and how you can avoid these mistakes
HIPAA Objectives and Topics:
- Learn about the federal government’s new cybersecurity laws
- Review the recent ransomware attacks on dental practices
- Learn how to perform a HIPAA Risk Assessment
- Understand HIPAA’s required policies and documentation
- Learn how you can avoid a HIPAA privacy breach
- Learn how cybersecurity ties into HIPAA compliance
- Review your Business Associate Agreements
Olivia Wann, JD
Olivia is a former office manager and RDA. She began her professional speaking career after writing her first book in 1999 and launched Modern Practice Solutions, LLC the following year dedicated to compliance issues of dental practices. She attended Tennessee Technology School’s RDA program, graduated magna com laude with a bachelor’s degree in health care administration from St. Joseph’s College and earned a doctorate in jurisprudence from the Nashville School of Law. Olivia is passionate about managing risk in a complex regulatory environment in the areas of infection control, OSHA and HIPAA. She practices law in Dover, TN and maintains a busy consulting practice with online and onsite educational programs that include policy development and site audits. She is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association, OSAP, and the Academy of Dental Management Consultants. Olivia is an outdoor enthusiast whether she is riding horses, her mountain bike, kayaking or digging in the dirt.
Cultural Humility & Recognizing Microaggression with Dr. Nakeshi Dyer, EdD, Assistant Professor UTHSC
During this 90-minute, interactive, in person workshop, participants will become more aware of their implicit bias and will learn how cultural humility can be an effective way to increase competency when working with others who may not share similar cultural experiences.
- Define implicit/unconscious bias and related terminology
- Describe how different theories explain the nature of implicit bias and outline the consequences of implicit bias
- Discuss strategies to raise awareness of and mitigate one’s implicit bias
- Learn about the value of cultural humility and its mitigating impact on implicit bias
Dr. NaKeshi Dyer
Dr. NaKeshi “Nikki” Dyer is a native Memphian and was educated at institutions in the city including White Station High School, LeMoyne-Owen College and The University of Memphis. She is a national certified psychotherapist who has been in the field of mental health for more than 25 years. She is also an Assistant Professor at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry where she teaches 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year students in various courses including dental ethics, Human Behavior and Dental Practice, Person Centered Dentistry, and Healthcare and Dental Simulation. She has a passion for facilitating conversations on topics pertaining to sexuality, gender, and identity as well as diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Chemical Dependency for the Dental Professional with Joshua Weil, Regional Overdose Prevention Specialist
The course will cover the current state of the opioid epidemic and overdose crisis in Tennessee and Shelby County, harm reduction strategies being utilized in Shelby County, stigma and science of addiction, Narcan administration and laws regarding the use of Narcan in Tennessee.
Joshua Weil, Regional Overdose Prevention Specialist, Memphis Area Prevention Coalition
Josh Weil is a Regional Overdose Prevention Specialist with the Memphis Area Prevention Coalition and the chairman of the Prevention and Education task force for the Shelby County Health Department. Josh has been involved in the Shelby County recovery community since 2001 and is in recovery for alcohol and opiate addiction. He received his Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing from University of Memphis in 2011 and is a registered nurse in the state of Tennessee. Learn more at memphisprevention.org.